Diversity and Inclusion
As a research community that studies complex socio-environmental challenges, we are acutely aware of environmental injustices caused by rapid global change. We also recognize that systemic bias and discrimination create inequities that marginalize and oppress members of our community, Virginia Tech, and society. We stand, today and every day, with our colleagues, students, and community members, against all intentional and unconscious biases and policies.
As an interdisciplinary community committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, we reaffirm our conviction that racism and discrimination of any kind have no place in society—including our educational institutions.
As a University-wide organization, the Global Change Center is well-positioned to affect positive change at Virginia Tech, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and beyond. In reaffirming our commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion, we, as individuals and as a Center, commit to maintaining a safe, affirming, and welcoming environment. We embrace the diversity of our community as essential for overcoming the socio-environmental challenges of our time. Recent atrocities, as well as persistent systemic bias and discrimination, heighten the urgency for renewed action against these injustices. The Global Change Center pledges to elevate the consideration of inclusion, equity, and diversity in all of our decisions, policies, and programs. As a community, we stand with the leadership of the Virginia Tech Office for Inclusion and Diversity and embrace their affirmative statements to move beyond incremental change.
- We affirm the inherent dignity and value of every person and strive to maintain a climate for work and learning based on mutual respect and understanding.
- We affirm the right of each person to express thoughts and opinions freely. We encourage open expression within a climate of civility, sensitivity, and mutual respect.
- We affirm the value of human diversity because it enriches our lives and the University. We acknowledge and respect our differences while affirming our common humanity.
- We reject all forms of prejudice and discrimination, including those based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status. We take individual and collective responsibility for helping to eliminate bias and discrimination and for increasing our own understanding of these issues through education, training, and interaction with others.
- We pledge our collective commitment to these principles in the spirit of the Virginia Tech motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).