Applications are now being accepted for the Interfaces of Global Change Program. New and existing graduate students can apply.
Applications will be accepted for fall or spring admission. Deadlines for applications:
- Admission in August (fall semester): deadline for applications is March 1st
- Admission in January (spring semester): deadline is November 30th
Single-year fellowships (which include funding for tuition costs and a monthly stipend) are awarded competitively on an annual basis. All applicants wishing to be considered for a 2018 fellowship should apply during the March 1st application cycle only. No fellowships will be awarded in the November 30th cycle.
1. Interested students should contact one of our GCC faculty members, or any other Virginia Tech faculty member, about joining their research program.
2. Once you have identified a faculty mentor, complete the normal application process to the Virginia Tech Graduate School. In the online application, choose the faculty mentor’s home department under the “Programs” option.
3. Applicants should then submit the following materials to Dr. Jeffrey Walters, IGC Director (firstname.lastname@example.org):
a. A CV that includes your GPA and GRE scores (and TOEFL scores for international applicants).
b. Contact information for three letters of reference.
c. A 1-page cover letter that addresses these questions:
- With what faculty member(s) will you be working and what will be your home department?
- What kind of interdisciplinary research will you be doing that relates to the Interfaces of Global Change program?
- How will the Interfaces of Global Change IGEP benefit your career plans?
- Do you need to be considered for one of our 1-year fellowships*?
d. A brief letter of support from the prospective Ph.D. mentor(s) explaining:
- How will the applicant’s training benefit from the IGC IGEP?
- Provide an explicit funding plan that describes how stipend, tuition, and research expenses will be covered over the course of the applicant’s tenure at Virginia Tech.
- If Departmental support is part of the funding plan (e.g., a GTA), appropriate written verification should be provided (e.g., a signature of support from the department head).
Existing Virginia Tech students can also apply to the Interfaces of Global Change Program. Application instructions are HERE.