“Internal applications” to the Interfaces of Global Change (IGC) Program are those submitted by existing Virginia Tech graduate students who are currently in their 1st or 2nd year of study. (This restriction is necessary to ensure that the student will have enough time to complete the IGC requirements.)
Admission deadlines for internal applicants are as follows:
- Admission in August- deadline for applications is March 1st.
- Admission in January- deadline for applications is November 30th.
Any student intending to apply for an IGC Fellowship along with admission should apply in the March 1 application cycle only.
New applicants should submit the following materials to Gloria Schoenholtz, IGC Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A CV that includes your GPA and GRE scores (and TOEFL scores for international applicants).
- Contact information for three references.
- A 1-page cover letter that addresses these questions:
- With what faculty member(s) will you be working and what will be your home department?
- What kind of interdisciplinary research will you be doing that relates to the Interfaces of Global Change program?
- How will the Interfaces of Global Change IGEP benefit your career plans?
- March Applicants only: Do you want to be considered for one of our 1-year fellowships*?
- A brief letter of support from the prospective Ph.D. mentor(s) explaining:
- How will the applicant’s training benefit from the IGC IGEP?
- Provide an explicit funding plan that describes how stipend, tuition, and research expenses will be covered over the course of the applicant’s tenure at Virginia Tech.
- If Departmental support is part of the funding plan (e.g., a GTA), appropriate written verification should be provided (e.g., a signature of support from the department head).
Currently-enrolled IGC IGEP students can also apply for a fellowship if they have not already received one. The deadline for these applications is March 1, 2017. Application procedures can be found in this separate RFP.